Close your eyes and imagine a destination where you would like to spend your holidays (or even the rest of your life). If you imagined about white sandy beaches, turquoise blue water and plush green trees, then Seychelles is exactly like your imagination.
Seychelles is truly a paradise on this earth. This famous archipelago located in the Indian Ocean is a group of 115 islands (where each island is different from the other). Seychelles is quite popular among the newlyweds for its alluring beaches and breathtaking natural setting. Even those who want to spend some lone time with the nature also prefer Seychelles for planning such a trip.
Best Time to Visit
You can enjoy year-long warm tropical climate in Seychelles. So, there is no such particular time to visit the island. Yet, April to May and October to November is the most favorable time to come here.
There are 6 airports in Seychelles and around 25 airlines operate out of Seychelles Airport. For inland commuting travelers can opt for buses, taxis or car hire, domestic flights and ferries.
Honeymoon in Seychelles
Seychelles is one of the most preferred honeymoon destinations by the newlyweds. Even the Royal Couple, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (Prince William and Kate Middleton) couldn’t resist coming here on their honeymoon. While honeymooning in Seychelles, you can either stroll through the ancient botanic gardens of Mahé or you can soak up the sun at the beaches. The choice is completely yours.
What to See
Seychelles is immensely beautiful and is a perfect destination for those who love to spend their vacations in the lap of nature. Virgin beaches, dense jungles, gorgeous coral reefs and UNESCO-listed nature reserves are a must see for those who adore nature and its creations. Listed below are some of the most popular tourist attractions of Seychelles.
- Anse Intendance – It is one of Mahé's most beautiful beaches and is an ideal remote place for cupid struck honeymooning couples. Thanks to the big swells and wild waves (as there are no reefs, the waves here are much stronger), Anse Intendance is a popular surfing destination.
- Mahé Island - Mahé is the largest island of Seychelles and also the most popular one. You can even call Mahé the gateway to Seychelles. Mahé is the main economic and cultural hub among the archipelago of Seychelles. You will also find large granite rocks and shelters on Mahé Island.
- Victoria – Being the capital city of Seychelles, Victoria is also one of the most popular tourist attractions of the archipelago. You will find a bustling market, botanical gardens and few colonial buildings in this small provincial town. Victoria is the only seaport of Seychelles and an important business hub.
- Beau Vallon – Located just 3km from Victoria, Beau Vallon is a popular beach destination for both tourists and locals. While in here you can indulge yourself in water sports like jet skis, snorkeling and water skiing etc. Come here if you want to spend some me time away from the other tourists.
- Sainte Anne National Marine Park – In 1973, Sainte Anne National Marine Park became the first national park in the Indian Ocean. Set amidst turquoise blue water and splendid views, there is so much to do here. Snorkeling, scuba diving and glass-bottom boat excursions are few of the activities that you can try here. Located just 5km from Mahé, this marine park comprises 6 islands (Ste Anne, Ile Moyenne, Ile Ronde, Ile Longue, Ile Cachee and Ile aux Cerfs) just off the coast of Mahé.
Other Must See Attractions of Seychelles
- Aldabra Atoll
- Bird Island
- Anse Volbert
- Silhouette Island
- Curieuse Island
- La Digue Island
- Anse Lazio
- Cousin Island
- Aride Island Nature Reserve
- Morne Seychellois National Park
Things to Do
- Go Fishing – When in Seychelles you can easily brush up your fishing skills even if you’re new to this.
- Go Island Hopping - Spend an entire day on La Digue cycling around the island. You can even go for hiking or a romantic walk down the beach side.
- Enjoy the Sunrise and Sunset – This is one thing that you shouldn’t miss when vacationing in Seychelles. Though to see the mesmerizing view of sunrise, you have to get up early in the morning. You can also plan for a sunset cruise to make it more romantic.
- Enjoy the delicious Seychellois food – If you are a sea food lover, then the traditional Seychellois cuisines will surely tempt you.
Take a Hike – Almost all of Mahé is covered with lush green hills and mountains. You can go for a half-day hike if you wish to explore the true beauty of this island country.
- Seychelles was a popular hideout for the pirates.
- Seychelles is home to the heaviest land tortoise (Esmeralda) that is living in the wild.
- Victoria is one of the smallest capitals in the world.
- Seychelles was under French rule for 44 years and under British rule for 162 years.
- The granitic islands of Seychelles are the oldest oceanic islands on earth.
- Seychelles was first discovered by Vasco da Gama in 1502.
- The mysterious Vallee de Mai nature reserve is the original Garden of Eden and a popular UNESCO World Heritage Site.